By the grace of God, we seek to live and proclaim the good news of reconciliation in Jesus Christ. As part of the one body of Christ at all times and places, we hold the following to be central to our belief and practice:
What do Mennonites believe?
- God is known to us as Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the Creator who seeks to restore fallen humanity by calling a people to be faithful in fellowship, worship, service and witness.
- Jesus is the Son of God. Through his life and teachings, his cross and resurrection, he showed us how to be faithful disciples, redeemed the world, and offers eternal life.
- As a church, we are a community of those whom God’s Spirit calls to turn from sin,acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord, receive baptism upon confession of faith, and follow Christ in life.
- As a faith community, we accept the Bible as our authority for faith and life, interpreting it together under Holy Spirit guidance, in the light of Jesus Christ to discern God’s will for our obedience.
- The Spirit of Jesus empowers us to trust God in all areas of life so we become peacemakers who renounce violence, love our enemies, seek justice, and share our possessions with those in need.
- We gather regularly to worship, to celebrate the Lord’s Supper, and to hear the Word of God in a spirit of mutual accountability.
- As a world-wide community of faith and life we transcend boundaries of nationality, race, class, gender and language. We seek to live in the world without conforming to the powers of evil, witnessing to God’s grace by serving others, caring for creation, and inviting all people to know Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.
In these convictions we draw inspiration from Anabaptist forebears of the 16th century, who modeled radical discipleship to Jesus Christ. We seek to walk in his name by the power of the Holy Spirit, as we confidently await Christ’s return and the final fulfillment of God’s kingdom.
Mennonite Church USA wouldn’t exist without the individual people who have responded and are responding to God’s call.
Local congregations and conferences provide support, resources and connections to larger ministries to empower individuals to join in God’s work in ways they could not do alone.
Mennonite Church USA’s Vision for healing and hope
God calls us to be followers of Jesus Christ and, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to grow as communities of grace, joy and peace, so that God’s healing and hope flow through us to the world.
Mennonite World Conference
Shalom Mennonite Fellowship is part of Mennonite Church USA, a part of Mennonite World Conference.
Mennonite World Conference is a global community of 1.6 million believers.
Jesus is the center of our faith.
- We fixed our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith.
- We interpret the Scriptures from an ethical Christocentric point of view.
- We see Christianity as discipleship, and seek to follow Jesus in daily life.
Community is the center of our life.
- We believe forgiveness makes community possible.
- We study the Scriptures with others to discern their applications for our time.
- We affirm that face-to-face groups are essential to a healthy church.
Reconciliation is the center of our work.
- We are called to help reconcile people to God through faith in Jesus.
- We believe that reconciliation includes both evangelism and peacemaking.
- We reject all forms of injustice and violence, and encourage peaceful alternatives to war and other conflicts.